Sunday, February 14, 2010

Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake


This was the dessert that I decided to make for Valentine's Day. It turned out well, although the cake was a bit dry, at least before I added the strawberries and whipped cream. I had some issues with ingredients again on the way. I didn't have enough shortening and had to add some butter (only ended up using margarine instead, because I needed it to be softer). I don't think it was a huge deal, as I was pretty close to the right amount of shortening to begin with. In retrospect, I should've just softened some butter, the flavor probably would have been better. But, all in all, a successful Valentine's Day dessert.

My original plan was to cut the cakes in heart shapes. But, the cake ended up thicker than I thought. Also, when I pulled out the heart cookie cutter, it was sort of rusty, and that's no good.

CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE

2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 whole eggs or 3 egg whites
1 quart fresh strawberries, rinsed and sliced
1 cup whipping cream, whipped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients in order listed, except strawberries and whipping cream. Beat with mixer on low speed, scraping bowl constantly for 30 seconds. Beat on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally, for 3 minutes. Pour into greased and floured 13x9-inch pan.

Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool cake completely.

Cut into squares. Place 2 or 3 squares in dessert cups and layer with small amount of strawberries and whipped cream. Garnish with a whole berry.

Makes 15-20 shortcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment