Saturday, February 20, 2010

Iron Chef Blogger Challenge: Peanut Butter!


This week, it was my turn to select the ingredient for this week's Iron Chef blogger challenge. I turned to Travis, who unfortunately rarely eats the things that I make for the challenge. His request? Peanut butter.

I had planned to make peanut butter bars, but we have so many sweets still laying around from Valentine's Day, I decided to go with a more savory peanut butter dish instead. So - chicken satay! You may notice my chicken is not on skewers. I was having a time... didn't feel like messing with them.. so I just grilled it. I know. That probably makes it not actually chicken satay or something. But, you know? I just don't care.

I served it with rice and some stir fried garlic asparagus. It all came out nicely, and I managed to find a nice looking piece of chicken to take a picture of. I cooked it on a cast iron grill plate, and the chicken stuck really badly. Most of the pieces sort of shredded. But, as long as it still tastes good, I don't think that matters.

I really need to work on my food photography. I bet that green place mat would have looked much nicer under the dish than off to the side.

In other peanut butter news, Carrie has made this delicious-looking Tofu/Noodle/Peanut Sauce combination over at Two Friends Cook.

Chicken Satay

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Pound each chicken breast to 1/4 inch thick between two pieces of plastic wrap. Cut into 1 inch strips.

Whisk together the garlic, peanut butter, coconut milk, sesame oil, hoisin sauce, lime juice, ginger, salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Move at least 1/2 cup of mix to a large ziploc bag. Add chicken and seal the bag, squish it around until the chicken is coated. Refrigerate 2 hours. Hold the remaining sauce at room temperature until serving (if you're serving the same day).

Remove the chicken from the marinade, thread each piece onto a bamboo skewer. Throw the leftover marinade away. Heat cast iron griddle. Place the satay onto the griddle, cook for 1 1/2 to 3 minutes per side, depending on size of piece of chicken. Serve immediately with reserved sauce for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment