Saturday, April 10, 2010

Iron Chef Blogger Challenge: Bananas!


The challenge ingredient this week is bananas. This does pose a slight problem for me, which is that I don't like bananas. At all. Luckily, Travis loves them!

I didn't want to make banana bread, because I make that fairly often. The company I work for provides fruit for the employees, and sometimes when the bananas are starting to brown, they put up a "please take this fruit home!" sign. And with it, I make bread.

However, I also wanted something simple that I could make after work. So I found this Banana Spice Cake recipe on southernfood.about.com - I don't know if I've ever mentioned, but this is one of my favorite sites to find recipes on. I think about.com is really helpful for recipes in general, because they have these topic sites for particular ingredients and types of food. Anyway.

It was pretty easy. I don't think I did a good job mashing the bananas - I hate the smell and the way they look when mashed, so I may have thrown in the towel a bit early on that one. The batter smelled really good, like pumpkin spice cake only with different fruit. In the spirit of full disclosure, neither Travis nor I have tried this cake yet. I think I undercooked it a little, because the top looks a bit... gooey. One of the perils of baking after work is that sometimes I neglect to really pay attention to what I'm doing. But, you can take a look at the recipe in the link up there if you think it looks interesting! Maybe I'll add an addendum when Travis finally tries it.

No comments:

Post a Comment