Saturday, January 2, 2010

Blogger Challenge: Grapefruit!

I missed a week of the Iron Chef Blogger Challenge, what with traveling and Christmas and all. But now I'm back! The secret ingredient this week was grapefruit.


This was tricky for me, considering that I don't like grapefruit. At all really. But I did a bit of research online and decided that a pink grapefruit sorbet might be nice. I found some lovely looking pink grapefruit at the Santa Monica Farmer's Market this morning.


Made a syrup with 1 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup light corn syrup, 4 cups water, and 3 long pieces of grapefruit peel (only the zest, not the pith). Once it comes to a boil, cook for 2 minutes. You have to stir it. A lot.


The recipe said to get 2 cups of grapefruit juice from 3 large grapefruits. This did not work for me. I got 1 1/2 cups. I topped off the juice by squeezing 2 satsumas and a lemon that I had, then finally just adding bottled orange juice for the last quarter cup. You do have to strain out the pulp from the juice.


You have to let the syrup mixture get completely cool. I didn't cool it enough, and my sorbet would never freeze quite properly. So leave it in the fridge for a while. It should probably already be cold when you put it in the machine, so if you have time, maybe overnight? Once it's cool, mix it with the juice, then you can put it in the ice cream maker!

I left the mixture in the ice cream maker 35 minutes, and it was still not frozen. I just took it out and put it in the freezer for a few hours. Even after that, it's still more like a grapefruit slushie, as you can see. But, it is quite good. Maybe I've been thinking too poorly of grapefruit all this time. The recipe website describes it as palate cleansing, which I guess could be accurate. It's not too sweet but not too bitter. Turns out grapefruit makes a good slushie!

No comments:

Post a Comment