Friday, January 1, 2010

Holiday Food and Fun

So, I think this is going to be one giant blog covering the cooking that I did over the Christmas week. It was a really great holiday. Went to Tennessee, it was cold but not miserably so (although I was still glad to get back home to the sun and 65-70 degree winter days). I got a lot of cooking done and a lot of eating too.

I'm missing a picture of the eggnog pound cake that I made. It was just a pound cake mix with some eggnog added, but oh man it was tasty.


This is some herb cornbread that I made to go with the amazing beef stew that my dad makes. It was really good, nice and fluffy. Generally bread that I make doesn't come out very well, but this one was tops. I definitely recommend it.


For Christmas dinner I made a pumpkin praline pie. I thought the pie was just okay, the Thanksgiving Pie that I made back in November was much, much better. The highlight of this was honestly the meringue. I love meringue. So much. But I had never tried to make it, it's always scared me, like pie crust. But I decided to suck it up for Christmas. The only problem was that my dad doesn't have any type of electric mixer. So I used a whisk. My mom and dad both helped a little, because my arm got tired, but I did a considerable amount of whisking. And it come out beautifully! So now I know that I can make meringue any time I want.


It is a Christmas Eve tradition that we have sausage balls, along with a meat and cheese plate. Most of the time the sausage balls are frozen, but this year I made them. It's just 1 pound of ground sausage, 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese and 3 cups of Bisquick mixed together. Roll it into 1 inch balls, bake it at 350 for 15 minutes, and you're done. They were really really yummy. They can be a little tough to mix - if you add some water, that will help.


My mom made some beautiful yeast rolls!


And finally, this was our Christmas spread. Ham, deviled eggs, sweet potatoes, broccoli and mushrooms, and yeast rolls. It was delicious! I hope everybody had as fantastic a holiday as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment