Saturday, January 23, 2010

Iron Chef Blogger Challenge: Nutmeg!

I was a little bit at a loss for what to do when the secret ingredient this week was nutmeg. The only thing that really jumped to mind was eggnog, then pumpkin pie. So, I flipped through my cookbook and came across this recipe for Applesauce Bread. The only problem is that when I make bread it ALWAYS burns on the top. I mean always.

So, I did a little bit of research to try to get some tips. However, apparently no one else in the world has ever burned the top of bread, everyone else burns the bottom. Whatever, I found a suggestion to turn the oven temperature down 25 degrees, and it worked.

The bread is okay, it's really dark and probably could have used a bit more sugar (or maybe a bit less nutmeg? - the spices are really strong). I don't totally love it, but I will probably eat it for breakfast this week.

Applesauce Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients except nuts. Mix well until blended. Stir in raisins and nuts. Pour into greased and floured 8 x 4 x 3 inch loaf pan. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment