Saturday, May 1, 2010

Iron Chef Blogger Challenge: Garlic!


This week it was my turn once again to pick the secret ingredient! I thought about it for a while, and for some reason I kept thinking about garlic. The Stinking Rose is one of my favorite restaurants, and the last time we were there, I bought their cookbook. So, I decided to recreate what I think is one of their best - Forty Clove Garlic Chicken.

First, garlic had to be roasted! I used two cups of peeled garlic cloves. Travis had to help peel the cloves, my hand started cramping. (I ended up using 6 heads of garlic overall, between chicken and the salad dressing that I made.


For the roasted garlic, mix 2 cups garlic cloves with 1 cup olive oil, cook for 40 minutes over low heat on the stove. Stir after 20 minutes. Then, use a slotted spoon to put the cloves on a cookie sheet and roast on 250 for another 25-30 minutes.


This picture is really just because I was so dang proud that I quartered a whole chicken by myself. Never managed that before.

The chicken was pretty dang tasty, if I do say so myself. The only thing I should've done differently was crisp the skin somehow. I probably should have cranked up the heat at the end or something. Or put it under the broiler for a minute? I don't know. So, here's the recipe!

Forty-Clove Garlic Chicken
from the Stinking Rose Restaurant Cookbook

1 large 2 1/2 - 3 lb broiler fryer chicken

Marinade:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
Leaves from 1 sprig rosemary, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Sauce:
1 cup dry red wine
1 shallot, quartered
4 cloves garlic, chopped
Leaves from 1 sprig rosemary, minced
Leaves from 2 sprigs thyme, minced
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 1/2 cups roasted garlic cloves

1. Remove giblets from chicken. With a large, sharp knife, cut chicken in half lengthwise, then cut in half crosswise to separate the breast from the thighs.

2. To make the marinade: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Put chicken in a heavy resealable plastic bag, pour the marinade over the chicken, and seal the bag. Work your hands over the bag until the liquid covers all the chicken parts. Place bag in refrigerator for 1 to 3 hours.

3. To make the sauce: In a heavy saucepan combine the wine, shallot, rosemary, garlic, and thyme. Bring to a boil over high heat, then decrease heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes. Gradually stir in the cream and cook to reduce the liquid by one-third, about 10 minutes. Add butter in batches, stirring to melt. (Note: Just try not to think about the amount of butter you just added. It'll come to no good.) Season with salt and pepper. Pass the sauce through a fine-meshed sieve, cover, and set aside.

4. Preheat the oven to 350. Put chicken in a heavy baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, turn chicken, baste with pan juices. Return to oven, bake 20 more minutes, or until skin is crackly and golden brown and meat is opaque throughout (Note: this never happened for me.. although I'm not sure why).

5. Arrange chicken on serving platter. Pour warm sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with roasted garlic cloves. Serve immediately.


What? You still want more recipes from other Iron Chef Bloggers? Fine!

Banana Nut Bread
Eggplant Curry with Saffron Rice and Naan
and my personal favorite: Black Bean Brownies

No comments:

Post a Comment